The Big Green Bookshop has always supported local schools to promote reading for pleasure. Over the last few years we’ve begun to deliver more educational projects with Haringey schools (see the schools page of our website for examples).
We now need to set up a not for profit social enterprise company to develop our educational work.
The company will be called Big Green Bookshop Education. We will promote literacy and reading for pleasure, through working with local schools, libraries and other partners.
How will we achieve this?
There are currently 3 main strands to our plans:
· Patron of Reading: Haringey Chapter: we have set up a local branch of the national Patron of Reading scheme which places authors in schools to inspire reading for pleasure. We now need to raise funds to help more schools work with these amazing authors.
· Arts Award literacy projects: 36 children and young people so far have gained a national qualification through our innovative local literacy initiative: High Street Stories. We want to extend these opportunities to many more local schools.
· Supporting other local initiatives: The new company will enable us to build on our track record of supporting literacy projects in Haringey and beyond.
What do we need to get started?
· Donations of £10 - or whatever you can afford. In return you will be acknowledged as a foundation patron on our website. We’ll keep you informed of our achievements and progress.
· Offers of in-kind support are also very welcome, for example, design, marketing, specialist advice and expertise.
What will we do with your support?
· Meet the initial expenses of setting up and registering the Big Green Bookshop Education social enterprise (we expect this to be a Community Interest Company).
· Set up a company website - which we will initially use to coordinate the Patron of Reading: Haringey Chapter initiative and recruit schools and authors.
· Hold a launch event for the Patron of Reading: Haringey Chapter to recruit new authors and schools to the scheme.
· Plan and deliver new literacy projects, for example, shared Patron of Reading projects which enable more primary schools to benefit from the scheme.
How to Donate
As we currently don’t have a high street bank account for the new company we can only take donations in the following manner
- · Via Paypal (or via the donate button at the top right of the blog)
- · In cash at the store
Thank You For Your Continuing Support