Thursday, October 25, 2007

Oh, The Thinks You Can Think!

Tim;

Now that there's nothing to do but wait for the solicitors to do what they do. I have gone back to thinking about all the things I should be thinking about. IT systems, the taxman, shelves, floors, paint, counter, bags, the taxman, safe, desk, accounting forms, paying suppliers, setting up accounts, the taxman, security, the taxman........ and books.

I've just had a couple of chaps come round to value my house as security against the bank loan. Harry (My youngest son (7) who I am not allowed to write about) told them we had just tidied up. "It's okay," said the nice man. "We don't base valuation on mess." Cheek. Alright, My house is generally not the tidest house in the world, but it only looked as if one bomb had hit it today. And not a very big bomb at that. Maybe only one or two megatonne.... But I digress. They left quite happy - not sure if they were laughing at me or with me. One of them was sporting a lovely new animal sticker on his laser measuring device, courtesy of Harry, who knows how to bribe.

Anyway their visit spurred me on to do a bit more research into the things to think about, and I chose - can you guess? - the Taxman. More specifically, how do we do Paye? There's lots of useful sounding websites, including HMs very own, but the one I found that I quite like, is Listen to taxman Now I'm not suggesting that anybody should check up on their payroll departments, and I have to say that when I tested this site on a couple of my old payslips they seemed pretty accurate (and where they weren't it was in my favour, so the less said about that the better) But it is a quite interesting and easy to use site - just in case anyone is interested. I also like the fact that when you open the site there is a default annual salary of £35929.60 sitting in the appropriate box. This proves that this site was not designed by booksellers! Where did they get that figure from? I hope it's not an average of any kind.

In other news, the lovely Jayde (ex-Wood Green part-timer, now Walthamstow) has landed the job she really wanted with a certain large publishing house. Beating off over fifty other applicants. Not surprising, she had the best support in the world (and I ain't talking about her bra) There will be much celebrating in North London. Massive well done to her and, let's face it, she's more use to us in her new job, than she would be as a part-time bookseller and spy in Waterst.... (did I say spy?.... Goodness, what could I possibly mean by that?)

Speaking of spies - (not that we have any) "The Wind Is Whistling Around Grannies Nightie." and "There's a Shortage of Sprouts in The Greenwoods."

I think you know what I mean....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may want to check out forming a company and taking dividends rather than PAYE as I think that means that you end up paying less tax and the business doesn't have to make NI contributions.

Chris said...

I recommend a good accountant...