Thursday, October 18, 2007

So Many Names

Tim;

And none of them rude.

After a slow start the entries for the 'Name Our Bookshop' competition have started pouring in. They are - it has to be said - a mixed bunch. Some people have obviously put more thought in than others, and some people have put in way too much thought. The Suggestion 'Mind the Gap' has confused the hell out of me - It's not a bad idea (There are NO bad ideas). I just don't understand the connection.

So, how to choose? Well, I've typed all the suggestions into a spreadsheet, with columns for 'Yes', 'No' and 'Maybe' and we will filter through them until we end up with the one. (Anyone who knows me will know that I solve all of my problems by writing spreadsheets. 'What's for dinner...?' 'Where shall we go on holiday...?' 'Do these shoes match this outfit...?' - 'Hang on. I'll just fire up excel and check.')

The other test I am using is the 'phone test. ('Good Morning XXX Bookshop how can I help?' (Obviously we won't be calling ourselves XXX, we're not that kind of Bookshop... although...)) This produces some interesting sentences... 'Good Morning 'We Sell Books'....' - Well what did you expect? 'Good Morning 'The Word is Out'...' What word, why haven't I heard?

Anyhoo, I'm off to collect some more entries, as we can't trust the post at the moment So I'll just say a quick thanks to everybody who has entered and remind you that there's still time to get those last minute entries in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blog- it was the highlight of my day!

Glad I'm not the only person dreaming/planning a new independent bookshop.

Lots of luck!

Simon Key said...

thanks Regina,
would love to read your blog too (if you invite us).
Simon

MarkFarley said...

Let's see... "Mind the Gap"? One would think that it would refer to something that is missing....

Hmmm, is there anything at all missing from Wood Green?

Hell, I just can't put my finger on it...