Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Joe and Me by David Moody. Number 8 of #365biggreenbooks

I am way behind on my book review challenge, but I shall carry on regardless.
Joe and Me

Joe and Me by David Moody is a wonderful chapbook published by This is Horror. It's one of a series that they are producing. So far, the quality of this series has been very very high. David Moody is the author of, blimey, at least 9 novels. I guess the best known is Hater. A few of my friends have told me how good he was and after reading Joe and Me, I am totally convinced
Joe and Me tells the story of a couple and their 8 year old boy (Joe). Essentially they are an ordinary family, with the usual day to day issues. However, Joe's mum is a scientist who's working on a vaccine which might just save the planet from total annihalation.
Told from the point of view of Simon, the father, this beautifully paced story cleverly looks at the challenge faced in juggling normal family life when one of the parents is forced to spend time away from the family (trying to save the world).
And when the government take away the funding and threaten to use the research for less noble means, things take an even more sinister turn.
But can the family survive against all the odds?
I love that it was told from the point of view of Simon, the father, who seems the least potent of the 3 members of the family.
I loved loved loved this little chapbook. In less than 50 pages, you have a fully formed story and a great introduction to the literary talents of a wonderful author. It's a gem. Horrific, emotional, and beautifully written. Yes, it's horrific.
I give it 8, and that's a big old 8.
I shall be reading more David Moody very soon.

1 comment:

chuck said...

Thank you for sharing tthis