I wasn't really there today. But Tim and John were and when I strolled in to see them earlier they were getting along very nicely.
Today was my day for sorting out the opening etc and making sure that everything is getting done. It is.....
no, no i'm only joshin' with you.
Katie and I had put together a list of stuff to consider, and also things to make sure we could do. They were, in no particular order
- Stickers (made up saying 'I Love the Big Green Bookshop')
- Balloons with logo, address, telephone number on
- Make sure person who said they were going to open the shop can open the shop
- Bookshop Name Competition Winner is OK about everything
- Contact Shopping Centre nearby to see what they could do for us
- Contact library nearby etc
- postcards for people to fill in details for mailing list
- glamorous guest appearances throughout the day
- posters to cover the window of the old Waterstone's? (still an empty shop)
- Local Newspaper coming to take photos
- All local residents associations aware of shop
- kid's character costume
- contact all local schools
we have a budget (i'm sure i put it somewhere) and some of this list we will do, and some we won't, but our attitude is to think like a big bookshop. If you don't ask, you won't get, and although JK isn't available (she never returns my e-mails), I'm sure we can do something that will be memorable.
The star of the show so far is this gorgeous creature Oh yes, Maisie Mouse will be making an appearance. (I'd better not mention about two of her distant relatives that i've dispatched recently). I have the wonderful Juliet Miles from Walker Books to thank for arranging this. Ms Miles is Maisie's agent (and also works in the Marketing Department), and after moving a few things round in her busy schedule was able to arrange a limo for Maisie to make the trip up to Wood green from her plush hole near Vauxhall.
There's more crazy stuff and we've had our portraits painted by an amazing artist called Cally Gibson. Cally is an absolute star and I suggest until she tells me how to see more of her work, you ask her kindly to be a friend on facebook, because she's a wonderfully talented artist and she's got a great portfolio on her facebook page.
she has now told me that her website right here, and it's even more amazing than I thought it could be.
I bet you never thought before you started reading day 7, that you'd appreciating art, did you.
Ikea construction tomorrow. Nuts.....